Sunday 8 June 2014

WRITING NOTES.

ACCURATE WRITING: CONNECTING WORDS

ADDITION

ŸAs well as/too:
Chinese food is very tasty. It´s quite cheap as well/too.
Also: Also the roads are extremely icy so be careful.

ŸNot only/but: The village is not only remote but totally inaccessible by road.

ŸWhat´s more/besides: I haven´t got any change on me. What´s more/besides, you already owe me money from last time.
TIME (1)

ŸThe moment/as soon as: The moment I get home, I’m going straight to bed

ŸEver since:  Ever since he came to the school he´s been nothing but trouble

ŸFirst/originally: The cottage was originally a post office, but it was converted a hundred years ago.

ŸFrom then on/ever since then: I bought a new computer last month. From then on/Ever since I´ve had nothing but trouble with it.

ŸWhile/as: I caught a glimpse of Jim while I was hurrying down the street.
ŸPrior to sth (formal): Prior to meeting her, I´d never met anyone from South Africa.
TIME (2)

ŸInstantly, straightaway, at once: When I saw Kay at the party that summer I instantly/straightaway fell for her

ŸAt once also used ‘at the same time’.

ŸPreviously: Previously, I´d never had a long-term relationship.

ŸBefore: Before this week, I´d only ever seen her in photographs.

ŸImmediately: I immediately went up to her and introduced myself.

ŸSubsequent to sth: (formal) Subsequent to our conversation, I enclose the necessary forms for your enquiry.

ŸAfter: The year after, we had to go back to college.
TIME (3)

ŸLater: A year later

ŸEventually (in the end): Eventually, we decided we would have to split up.

ŸAt the end: At the end, everyone applauded.

ŸLately: Lately, in the last month or so, we have begun seeing each other again.

ŸFinally: They´ve been together for over 15 years, but they finally got married at Christmas.  

ŸUp until: Up until a month ago, though, we hadn´t seen each other for over 20 years.

ŸAfterwards/then: I accepted their invitation to supper. Afterwards, I regretted it.


REASON AND RESULT

ŸBecause/because of: I lent Mary my racket because hers was broken/ Because of terrible floods, they lost all their crops.

ŸAs/since: Since/as you don´t want to help, I´ll do it my self.

ŸSo, as a result, therefore/consequently: There were terrible floods. Therefore, they lost all their crops.

ŸDue to/owing to: Due to/Owing to bad weather yesterday I didn´t go climbing.

Spanish being really bad, he didn´t understand me/Because of the visibility being poor, there were several road accidents.


PURPOSE

ŸSo as/in order (for something) + infinitive with to: The colours need to be bolder so as to/in order to make the design stand out. In order for the campaign to be a success, we must increase our budget.

ŸIn order that/so that/so: So that we can meet our deadlines, we´d appreciate your ideas by tomorrow. I´ll send you some possible slogans in order that you can decide.
CONDITION

ŸUnless: Unless ex-prisoners are given help, they are likely to re-offend.

ŸIn case: Take a sandwich in case you get hungry later.

ŸOtherwise: We must act now, otherwise the prison population will double.

ŸProvided/providing, as long as/assuming (if and only if): Prisoners can become responsible citizens, providing we allow them to.

ŸWhether: Whether the governor is right or wrong, there are many who disagree.

ŸImagine/suppose/supposing: Imagine/Suppose/Supposing the prisoners aren´t well enough to work, what happens then?




COMMENT ADVERBIALS

ŸObviously: Obviously, she was guilty.

ŸFortunately: Fortunately, he wasn´t hurt

ŸTo be honest/quite honestly: Quite honestly/To be honest, I think he´s wrong

ŸSurely: Surely, you could leave.

ŸIn fact: He doesn´t work. In fact, he never has.

ŸClearly: Clearly, he didn´t understand.

ŸAmazingly: Amazingly, Tom resigned.

ŸFrankly: Frankly, I think Em´s right.

ŸApparently: Apparently, Sy´s got engaged.

ŸAccording to: According to him, Pam´s ill.
CONTRAST

ŸAlthough/even though/though
(more emphatic): Although/even though I never bother to lock my car, I know I should/Mo still smokes, although she knows she shouldn´t.

ŸWhereas: They fell asleep whereas I was awake for hours

ŸHowever: I like cats. However, I prefer dogs.

ŸBut: Frank is very athletic, bus this brother isn´t.

ŸDespite/in spite of: Despite/in spite of the fact that he was ill, he went into work/In spite of/despite being late, they allowed us into the gym.

ŸNonetheless/nevertheless/however: I´m not particularly hungry. Nevertheless, I will have one pie.





No comments:

Post a Comment